Up until now, a better memory came from sleeping well, exercising body and mind, and for some, taking herbs. Those with admirably strong will power have combatted the inevitable daily forgetting by committing themselves to mnemonics, organize-your-life “diets”, and productivity rituals. If I weren’t so busy, I might have time for one of these.
The new reQall Memory Jogger is for those who forget, but don’t want to work hard to remember. We know from decades of memory research how and why people forget. Armed with this, our journey began by asking two basic questions:
- Why are computers, email, SMS, and phones creating digital chaos in people’s lives?
- How can we apply our expertise in memory and computers to build a mobile memory aid for modern life?
Examples of things I’ve heard:
- I write things down, but I never go back and look at my notes.
- When I get to the grocery store, I want something to tell me the things I need to buy.
- If I have a meeting this afternoon, I’d like something to prepare me ahead of time.
- I forgot to call my sister/mother, can it nudge me without nagging?
- I can’t remember all the things I need to do for my kids activities.
- I’m lost without my secretary/spouse reminding me
Today’s mobile computer is the smartphone (iPhone, BlackBerry, etc.) and it doesn’t need to be a potted plant while all this forgetting is going on. It should come alive, notice what is happening, anticipate what you need, and whisper in your ear before you forget. The smartphone should make you smart.
That’s where the Jogger comes in. It works by looking at your situation and figuring out what would be the best Jogs for you at this time, place, situation, or because it thinks you are about to forget. It can use your calendar and it can use your location to pick. The more you tell it and the more it detects, the better it works.
You don’t have to do anything extra. Go about your normal day, from home to work and anywhere else along the way. Add things you want to remember into reQall and when the time is right, the Memory Jogger will remind you. No folders, no files, no sticky notes, no piles.
What auto-focus did to cameras and automatic transmission did to cars is what we feel the Jogger will do to productivity, virtual assistance, and memory aids. It makes it a lot easier for so many more of you to enjoy the empowerment and freedom that comes with a strong memory.
Please try it and tell us what you think. Our work is not done and we’d love to hear what your perfect Memory Jogger would be.
Chief Product Officer